Fernando Tatis Jr. Tests Positive for COVID, Yankees Coach Also Out Amid Outbreaks
Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images. Pictured: Fernando Tatis Jr.
5:30 p.m. ET Update: Padres manager Jayce Tingler has confirmed that Padres star shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. has tested positive for COVID. Jorge Mateo and Jurickson Profar joined Tatis on the injured list as close contacts.
Fernando Tatis Jr. and two other Padres were placed on the IL due to health and safety protocols, one of two possible COVID outbreaks in Major League Baseball on Tuesday.
The New York Yankees announced their third base coach, Phil Nevin, had tested positive with other staff members in contact tracing. The Yankees are in Tampa Bay on Tuesday and manager Aaron Boone expected the game to be played.
“We have a breakthrough positive involving 3B Coach Phil Nevin, who is fully vaccinated," the Yankees said in a statement. "He is currently under quarantine protocol in Tampa. Under MLB's guidance and advice, and with its assistance, additional testing and contact tracing are ongoing.”
Boone said at his press conference that Nevin was the only one confirmed as positive at that time, though tests for other coaches were still pending. Carlos Mendoza replaced Nevin at third base for the game.
The Yankees were -121 favorites with Jordan Montgomery on the mound against Tampa Bay's Luis Patiño. The Rays came back as +102 underdogs.
That wasn't the only COVID outbreak of the day, as the Padres made multiple roster moves due to health and safety protocols.
Tatis Jr., Jorge Mateo and Jurickson Profar were all placed on the IL prior to San Diego's game against the Colorado Rockies on Tuesday. This will be the second IL stint for Tatis, who injured his shoulder earlier this season.
Odds for the Padres-Rockies game were immediately taken off the board at the major legal sportsbooks, but re-opened with San Diego listed as a -175 favorite at DraftKings. The Rockies were a +150 underdog.