Rovell: Everyone’s Betting the Underdog on MNF
Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Baker Mayfield
- We're tracking all of the Week 5 NFL betting action in one place, including the biggest wagers to hit sportsbooks, what games oddsmakers will be paying the closest attention to, and more.
Pick: Bet Now
These are some detai
NJ, PA, IN, and WV only.
NJ, PA, IN, and WV only.
- 7:20 p.m. ET: Ah, nothing quite like a trendy underdog. The Browns are 4.5-point dogs at the 49ers on Monday Night Football, and bettors can’t get enough of them. DraftKings told me that 79% of the money wagered on the spread for MNF has come in on the Browns — and 89% of the moneyline bets are also on Cleveland. At PointsBet, one bettor wagered $500 per point on Browns +4 via the sportsbook’s Points Betting product. So for every point Cleveland covers the spread by — or for every point it fails to cover the spread by — this bettor will make or lose $500. The bet has a 20x stop loss, meaning the maximum he can win or lose is $10,000.
- 11:45 a.m. ET: DraftKings, which launched its mobile product on Thursday in Indiana, had a special odds boost for its customers in the Hoosier state. The book offered the Colts moneyline at +1000 vs. the Chiefs, instead of the usual +460, an unusually high boost, as DK tries to gain a similar foothold in Indiana that it currently has in New Jersey. The limit for the bet was $10. The Colts winning, while undoubtedly huge for the book on the whole (the Chiefs were popular favorites), burned DraftKings with this particular boost. It lost $300,000 on the promotion, with 38% of its Indiana customers taking advantage.
- 11:35 p.m. ET: It’s over. The Colts, who were 10.5-point underdogs vs. the Chiefs, just pulled off the biggest upset of the season. And you can bet Indy’s outright victory had sportsbook operators very happy on Sunday night. Any moneyline parlay that was still alive — and there were plenty with New England and Philly rolling as big favorites — just got wiped out. Perhaps most notable is the $180,000 New Jersey bettor who just needed a K.C. victory to complete a two-team parlay and net nearly $150K. It wasn’t meant to be. That’s a wrap from here … We’re already on to MNF.
- 8:10 p.m. ET: Earlier today, we reported on a $180,000 parlay placed at PointsBet with the Chiefs/Ravens moneylines. This bettor escaped the Ravens-Steelers game with an overtime victory, and now it all comes down to Colts-Chiefs on Sunday Night Football. If K.C. wins outright, the bet will net $147,540.
- 4:15 p.m. ET: Right before the 1 p.m. games kicked, we reported that DraftKings and PointsBet both took massive bets on the Bears to win outright over the Raiders. With the Raiders’ upset victory, both books will net a substantial sum. The wager at DK was for $210,000 on the moneyline, while the Bears’ loss blew up at $285K parlay at PointBet that included the Bears and Chiefs. Jeff Sherman from the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook told The Action Network that the Raiders’ win would more than make up for the Patriots covering.