MLB All-Star Game Odds, Picks | Betting Guide to Midsummer Classic
Credit: Getty Images. Photo Illustration by Matt Roembke. Pictured: Ronald Acuna Jr and Shohei Ohtani.
MLB All-Star Game Odds
|National League Odds|
-122 / +100
|American League Odds|
-122 / +100
The 2023 MLB All-Star Game is here. The best from the American League and National League clash at T-Mobile Park in Seattle (8 p.m. ET on FOX).
Zac Gallen, ace of the surprising Arizona Diamondbacks, gets the start for the National League. He’s the third Diamondbacks pitcher in franchise history to start the Midsummer Classic, joining Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling.
For the American League, it will be six-time All-Star Gerrit Cole of the New York Yankees. Like Gallen, Cole is making his first All-Star Game start.
The AL, winner of this exhibition nine straight times, enters as a slight favorite. The over/under for the game is set at 7.5.
Aside from the standard betting options, there are also plenty of props available for Tuesday night's game — though it's one side getting most of the action from our MLB experts.
Here are our best bets for the 2023 MLB All-Star Game.
MLB Odds & Picks
Kenny Ducey: Surely this is the year the National League snaps their nine-game losing streak at the All-Star Game.
Of the top 10 players in OPS this year, seven of them are in the NL’s starting lineup. While the American League will have Shohei Ohtani and Corey Seager in their order, it's going to be missing Aaron Judge and Mike Trout. On top of that, Yordan Alvarez will also be absent, and his replacement, Julio Rodriguez, is slashing a disappointing .249/.310/.411.
Then, there are the pitching staffs.
The NL will be without Clayton Kershaw and Spencer Strider, but the AL is arguably at a greater disadvantage sans Shane McClanahan and Framber Valdez. And it’s all but certain Ohtani will not be available as a pitcher due to a blister.
I think that, at worst, the NL staff is marginally stronger than the AL staff, while the NL lineup is significantly stronger than the AL’s. Rounding out your order with Sean Murphy, Corbin Carroll and Orlando Arcia is far preferable to Austin Hays, Josh Jung and Jonah Heim.
I expect a strong showing from the NL, at least on offense, and with that I can’t pass up the plus money.
Sean Zerillo: I project the National League as a -102 favorite (50.5% implied odds) and would bet its moneyline at +102 (49.5% implied) or better.
The American League has the pitching advantage. I project its pitchers for a 3.48 Model Weighted ERA compared to 3.62 for the National League — a difference of roughly 4%.
Felix Bautista (1.95 xERA) potentially gives the American League its most significant advantage. The Orioles closer and his absurd 50.9% strikeout rate provide a free shutdown inning when needed.
However, the National League has the superior group of position players — especially with voted AL starters Aaron Judge and Mike Trout sidelined.
Against the same pitching staff, I project the NL hitters for an additional 0.44 runs per game compared to the AL — a difference of 11%.
Additionally, as a group, the American League offense is much more effective against left-handed pitching than righties. The NL only has Josh Hader and Justin Steele as left-handed options out of its ‘pen and figures to play matchups with those arms.
Conversely, the American League doesn’t have a left-handed pitcher on its staff. Its staff will have difficulty gaining a platoon advantage against NL bench bats like Juan Soto (165 wRC+ vs. righties) and Matt Olson (163 wRC+ vs. righties) in late innings.
Take the NL at plus money. Look for its reserve hitters to be the difference late in this contest.
What is QuickSlip?
QuickSlip is an Action Network feature that allows users to automatically pre-load their bet slip at FanDuel Sportsbook.
D.J. James: It's not a great feeling betting the under in a game played for fun, but here we are.
The last few years have not been thrilling. Last season, the American League won 3-2. In 2021, the AL won 5-2. In 2019, the AL won 4-3. Those games didn't surpass seven runs, and this one should be the same.
In my opinion, the best pitchers are not starting this game, but digressing from that point, Gerrit Cole and Zac Gallen are still great pitchers. They both have sub-3.85 xERAs, so the expected stats have not been favorable, but given that they can let loose for a couple innings, they could possibly get a bit more from their arsenals.
The AL is missing a few key bats here. Notably, Yordan Álvarez, Aaron Judge and Mike Trout are not participating. The NL is missing Dansby Swanson.
It is boring, but given recent outcomes, it is hard not to bet the under on the total.
Take this to under 7 (-120). It could get lower by first pitch.