Horse Racing Picks & Best Exotic Bets: 3 Races to Play at Belmont (Friday, June 19)
Al Bello/Getty Images. Pictured: Belmont Park
The Belmont Stakes is just a day away and tracks across North America are showcasing some deep, loaded races to cash in on the excitement.
We are back at it again looking for winners on today’s card at Belmont Park, which features another impressive 10-race lineup to kick off the weekend festivities at “Big Sandy” in New York.
Here are the highlighted plays at Belmont, along with our multi-race wagers from the loaded afternoon slates at Santa Anita Park and north of the border in Canada at Woodbine.
Lets take a look at our featured races:
Time: 2:55 p.m. ET
We start our card off with a $52,000 Claiming race, scheduled to go 1 1/16 miles on the dirt track.
I am backing No. 3 Leitone, who is the morning-line favorite at 7-5 odds. Trainer Rob Atras is likely going to have jockey Manny Franco put his colt on the front end and play the catch-me-if-you-can game.
Leitone has the controlling speed of the group and I think he can back down the time figures in the first half mile, which should allow him to get away at the top of the stretch.
Play Leitone across the board in your Win-Place-Show wagering and use on top of your exotic plays with No. 6 Hoffenheim at 5-2 odds. Tack on No. 1 Shadow Rider (6-1), No. 5 Creative Style (4-1) and No. 7 Autostrade (8-1) underneath your exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $7 Win/Place/Show: No. 3 Leitone (7-5)— $21 Ticket
- $2 exacta wager: 3/6 over 3/5/6/7 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 3/6 over 3/5/6/7 over 1/3/5/6/7— $27 Ticket
Time: 5:04 p.m. ET
My top selection is No. 9 The Caretaker (4-1), who gets jockey Luis Saez in the irons for this $60,000 Allowance Optional Claiming event that is slated to go 6 1/2 furlongs on the dirt.
Trainer Tom Morley sends out his new charge, whom he claimed in the horse’s previous start. I typically shy away from Morley runners on the dirt, but feel like this is a live spot for The Caretaker in this wide-open race.
I am playing The Caretaker across the board and boxing him in an exacta with No. 1 Eye Luv Lulu (5-2), No. 2 Leaky Cup (4-1) and No. 6 Summer Bourbon at 9-2 odds. Throw No. 3 Steam Engine (8-1) on the back end of your trifecta wager.
- $4 Win/Place/Show: No. 9 The Caretaker (4-1) — $12 Ticket
- $2 exacta box wager: 1/2/6/9 — $24 Ticket
- $1.50 trifecta wager: 6/9 over 1/2/6/9 over 1/2/3/6/9— $27 Ticket
Race 9: Sir Cat Stakes
Time: 5:36 p.m. ET
This is the most difficult race to handicap on the entire card.
Any of the eight contenders entered in this six-furlong sprint on the Inner Turf course could wind up in the winner’s circle. However, I am giving the edge to No. 7 Chimney Rock (2-1), who is the morning-line favorite.
Trainer Mike Maker sends out his talented 3-year-old colt, who is making his first start after a solid win in May at Churchill Downs. Chimney Rock, who gets jockey Jose Ortiz in the saddle, was the runner-up in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint and has not finished worse than second in all his tries sprinting on the grass.
This horse is simply getting better with age and experience, which has me optimistic he is primed to either match or better that most recent outing in Kentucky.
Play Chimney Rock across the board and on top of your exotic tickets with No. 4 Guildsman (7-2), who goes out for trainer Brendan Walsh. Use No. 1 Maxwell Esquire (10-1), No. 2 Jack and Noah (3-1) and No. 5 Turned Aside (4-1) underneath in your exacta and trifecta wagers.
- $5 Win/Place/Show: No. 7 Chimney Rock (2-1) — $15 Ticket
- $2 exacta box wager: 2/4/5/7 — $24 Ticket
- $1 trifecta wager: 4/7 over 2/4/5/7 over 1/2/4/5/7 — $18 Ticket
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Belmont Park
- Daily Double (Races 1 and 2): 7,8,10 / 2,4,6,7,8 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 9 and 10): 4,5,7 / 2,4,9,10,11,12 ($2 Daily Double = $36 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 3-4-5): 4,7,9 / 3,5,6,7 / 2,4,6,7,11 ($0.50 Pick 3 = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Woodbine
- Pick 3 (Races 1-2-3): 2,4,5 / 3,4,6,7 / 1,3,5,7 ($1 Pick 3 = $48 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 6 and 7): 1,2,5,7,8 / 2,4,6,7 ($1.50 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
Favorite Multi-Race Wagers at Santa Anita Park
- Daily Double (Races 2 and 3): 1,4,5,6 / 2,4,5,6,8,9 ($1.50 Daily Double = $36 Ticket)
- Daily Double (Races 8 and 9): 3,4,6 / 3,4,5,7,9 ($2 Daily Double = $30 Ticket)
- Pick 3 (Races 4-5-6): 4,6,7 / 2,3,5,7 / 1,2,4 ($1 Pick 3 = $36 Ticket)