With conference tournaments now in full swing, we will see a number of games featuring a team looking for a season sweep after winning both regular-season meetings. When looking at these spots, I always ask myself two questions:
- Is there an inherent matchup advantage that caused the 2-0 sweep?
- If not, do I think the other team will have a motivational edge due to the revenge angle?
It is worth noting that these are teams going for a 3-0 season sweep Friday in games that don’t have lines out yet:
- Southern Illinois 2-0 vs. Missouri State (lost by a combined 5 points)
- Rider 2-0 vs. St. Peters (lost by a combined 7 points)
- Loyola Chicago 2-0 vs. Northern Iowa (lost by margins of 6 and 23)
- Canisius 2-0 vs. Quinnipiac (lost by margins of 7 and 8)
- Penn State 2-0 vs. Ohio State (lost by margins of 3 and 23)
- Santa Clara 2-0 vs. Pepperdine (lost by margins of 7 and 14)
Let’s look at my five favorite spots on Friday’s card from a situational handicapping perspective (revenge specifically) that made the final cut. The five listed games tip at noon, 3:30, 5, 5:30 and 7 p.m. ET. YTD: 28-22