Joffe’s World Cup Challenge, Day 14: Will I Invent More Ways to Lose Money?
USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Brazil forward Neymar (10), midfielder Casemiro (5) and forward Douglas Costa (7).
- Iceland is dead to me.
- No one is safe and no one is dead in Group F, and goals can make the difference.
- I need everyone scoring goals except Costa Rica.
GB’Day mates! The Socceroos are done, much like both my bets. Shout out to France and Denmark for surrendering to each other, which of course meant my France ML bet lost.
I want to give an even bigger shout out to Iceland (or Croatia, I haven’t decided who I’m more mad it) for blowing both of my bets with minutes to go. Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.
Argentina won, but I think they got a little help from the refs, and I still don’t like them. Moving on…
Seven teams today have a chance to advance today, so things are bound to get interesting. I wonder how I’ll lose money on these games! Let’s find out…
Current balance: $393.08
What you need to know:
- Mexico advances with at least a draw.
- Germany advances with a win and a Sweden draw or loss.
- Sweden advances with a win and a Germany draw or loss.
- Korea could advance by beating Germany and a Sweden loss.
- If Mexico loses and Germany wins, advancement come down to the goal differential between Mexico, German and Sweden.
Korea vs. Germany
10 a.m. ET, FS1
Jim Carrey voice: “Sooooo you’re saying there’s a chance?” Korea has a shot to advance, albeit a small one, but I think Germany will make sure to have goal differential in their favor should Mexico lose, as they’d be in a three-way tie to move on to the next round. I’d normally pass on this game, but alas I can’t because I am … #JOFFIFA!
The pick: $15 to win $15.30 on Germany -2 (+102)
Mexico vs. Sweden
10 a.m. ET, FOX
Neither team is safe here, and while Mexico is cool with a draw, Sweden is not, so I expect both to play a strong game. My pick? I’m going to hope for a lot of goals and call it a day.
The pick: $15 to win $18.00 on Over 2.5 (+120)
What you need to know:
- Costa Rica is out.
- Brazil advances with at least a draw.
- Switzerland advances with a win.
- Serbia advances with a win or a draw if the Swiss lose by more than a goal.
Serbia vs. Brazil
2 p.m. ET, FOX
Brazil will advance with a draw, but they obviously want the top spot. Serbia could advance with a draw, but there’s no way they’re banking on Switzerland to lose. It’s all very confusing, so I’m just going to hope for a lot of goals like the Mexico-Sweden game.
The pick: $15 to win $12.50 on Over 2.5 (-120)
Switzerland vs. Costa Rica
2 p.m. ET, FS1
Costa Rica haven’t played well at all this tournament which has been disappointing for a lot of people who were hoping to witness some of their 2014 magic. They haven’t scored any goals yet, but Switzerland doesn’t want to risk a loss or draw here, which would open the door for Serbia to get in ahead of them.
The pick: $15 to win $13.04 on Switzerland -.5, -1 (-115)