NFL Preseason Betting: Insight into Browns vs. Eagles on Thursday Night Football
Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Baker Mayfield
- The Browns are presently -3 favorites at home vs. the Eagles.
- The Eagles are dealing with injuries at every skill position.
- Baker Mayfield has averaged the most yards per attempt among this year's first-round rookie quarterbacks.
Thursday Night Football is back! In Week 3, many starters will play for up to a half and maybe even three quarters in some cases. Still, offenses and defenses alike will continue to rely on simplified schemes.
Let’s take a look at key storylines for both teams playing Thursday night.
Betting Odds: Philadelphia Eagles at Cleveland Browns (-3)
- Philadelphia Eagles Moneyline: +149
- Cleveland Browns Moneyline: -172
- Over/Under: 41.5
- Kickoff: Aug. 23, 2018 – 8 p.m. ET
The Eagles offense is dealing with a plethora of injuries at most positions, and an abundance of skill-position players have already been ruled out.
- QB Carson Wentz (knee)
- RB Jay Ajayi (lower body)
- RB Darren Sproles (rest)
- RB Corey Clement (lower body)
- RB Donnel Pumphrey (lower body)
- WR Nelson Agholor (lower body)
- WR Alshon Jeffery (shoulder)
- TE Richard Rodgers (knee)
The first-team offense will look to do a better job protecting quarterback Nick Foles this week, as he was sacked three times in 12 dropbacks against the Patriots in Week 2. The good news is that Foles will play the entire first half after suffering a strained right shoulder in Week 1, but the public doesn’t seem convinced it’ll make a difference: 52% of the tickets and 56% of the money have come in on the Browns spread (per our Live NFL Odds page).
More Fantasy Football Content from The Action Network
- PPR Rankings: Top 200
- Standard Rankings: Top 200
- Player Projections: Every Position
- Printable Cheat Sheet: Download now!
- Player Profiles: Top 200
Browns head coach Hue Jackson said No. 1 overall pick Baker Mayfield “will play quite a bit,” and Tyrod Taylor and the starters should be on the field for about a half. Neither quarterback will get to work with wide receiver Josh Gordon, who is expected to begin practicing Saturday after recently reporting to training camp.
Both Jackson and general manager John Dorsey have remained committed to Taylor as the starter, but Mayfield has shown early signs of excellence through two weeks. Overall, he’s 18-of-33 passing for 287 yards with a 2-0 TD-INT ratio.
Preseason yards per attempt from each 1st round QB:
Baker Mayfield: 8.7 👀
Sam Darnold: 5.4
Josh Allen: 5.5
Josh Rosen: 5.1
Lamar Jackson: 4.7 pic.twitter.com/jc9FCN3d2k
— Ian Hartitz (@Ihartitz) August 21, 2018
Despite the potential for some solid quarterback play, the total has dropped since opening at 42.5, as 74% of the money has come in on the under.