Jaguars vs. Buccaneers Preseason Betting Odds: Jacksonville Backup RBs Can Carry the Load
Betting Odds: Jacksonville Jaguars at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-1.5)
- Jacksonville Jaguars Moneyline: +105
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers Moneyline: -125
- Over/Under: 35.5
- Kickoff: Aug. 30, 2018 – 7:30 p.m. ET
The Jaguars have one of the more-compelling backfields in the league. Each of bell-cow Leonard Fournette’s backups — T.J. Yeldon and Corey Grant — has exhibited big-play ability at the NFL level.
- Yards per carry (min. 25 rushes) in 2017: Grant — 8.3 (1st); Yeldon — 5.2 (5th)
- Breakaway rate (% of runs 15+ yards): Grant — 54% (1st); Yeldon — 37.2% (14th)
Neither will carry a substantial role while Fournette is healthy, but Thursday could help demonstrate some of the firepower on the Jaguars’ sideline.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Peyton Barber has locked up the Buccaneers’ No. 1 running back job by vastly outperforming second-rounder Ronald Jones all preseason.
- Barber: 15 carries, 87 yards, 5.8 yards per carry, 2 TDs, 3 catches, 2 receiving yards
- Jones: 18 carries, 18 yards, 1 yard per carry, 1 TD, 1 catch, 37 receiving yards
Pass-down back Charles Sims (knee) has been placed on injured reserve, so Jones could still carve out a fantasy-friendly receiving role if his execution improves.