Getty Images. Pictured: Peru celebrating
- To win the World Cup: +17500
- To win Group C: +1000
- To advance to Round of 16: +200
Bet to Make
Peru to advance from Group C: +200
It’s no small feat to qualify from South America, but Peru have reached the World Cup for the first time in 36 years over strong teams like Chile, Ecuador and Paraguay. They’ll begin the group stage as small underdogs against Denmark, then play France as big underdogs, and will wrap up Group C as favorites against Australia.
Peru recently received some great news regarding striker Paolo Guerrero, their all-time record goal scorer, who is now eligible to participate in the World Cup following a drug suspension appeal. He gives them a huge boost offensively, and teams will only have a couple of weeks to prepare for his presence.
This team has all the makings of an underdog that can progress into the Round of 16, similar to Costa Rica in 2014, although odds aren’t quite as long. They’re feisty and aggressive but also strong in possession of the ball and can pass through opponents.
If you haven’t bet on Peru to qualify from Group C yet, you’ve missed a ton of the value — they were offered at +260 a couple of months ago but are now down to +200. Even after the significant movement toward them, I still think they’re worth a wager to advance, and will likely be betting them in some capacity against Denmark and Australia.
If they do reach the Round of 16, their opponent will be from Group D, likely Argentina, Nigeria or Croatia.
More World Cup Betting Coverage
- Group A: Russia | Saudi Arabia | Egypt | Uruguay
- Group B: Portugal | Morocco | Iran | Spain
- Group C: France | Australia | Peru | Denmark
- Group D: Argentina | Iceland | Croatia | Nigeria
- Group E: Brazil | Costa Rica | Switzerland | Serbia
- Group F: Germany | Mexico | Sweden | South Korea
- Group G: Belgium | Panama | Tunisia | England
- Group H: Poland | Senegal | Colombia | Japan