Oscar Best Costume Design Predictions, Odds: Cruella Favored Over Dune and West Side Story, Picks For 2022 Nominees
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images. Pictured: Emma Stone at a Cruella premiere.
- Will Cruella take home the Academy Award for Best Costume Design? Betting odds favor the film.
- Our analysts make their Oscar predictions, featuring Cruella to win Best Costume Design.
- Find all five nominees and their latest odds below.
Best Costume Design Nominee Odds
|West Side Story||+1800||5.26%|
|Oscar odds for Best Picture nominees via FanDuel and as of March 26.|
Best Costume Design Predictions
Collin Whitchurch: The BAFTAs dominate this category from a predictability standpoint, hitting 12 times since 2000.
The Costume Designer’s Guild has broken their top awards up into three genres since 2005: Contemporary, Period and Sci-Fi/Fantasy. Period has hit with the most frequently over that span with eight wins, while Sci-Fi/Fantasy has hit five times and Contemporary has hit zero.
All of this aligns to give Cruella a rare win over powerhouse Dune.
Cruella won the CDG’s Period award and also at the BAFTAs. Dune won the Sci-Fi/Fantasy award at the CDGs, while Coming 2 America — not nominated here — won the Contemporary prize.
Given that more people probably saw Dune than Cruella, I’m giving it an outside shot at pulling the upset here, but don’t like it enough at +320 to throw down any money on it. Similarly, Cruella’s juice is too high for me to eat it given the possibility that Dune wins. Cruella is the pick, but I won’t be wagering any money here.
Chris Raybon: Over 90% of Gold Derby experts and editors are picking Cruella to win. Its listed odds imply only an 82% chance, so there’s some value here relative to the listed odds, but -450 isn’t worth the trouble.
More 2022 Oscar Predictions
- A Guide To Betting Every Category: Senior editor Collin Whitchurch breaks down his take on every category, including which are worth betting vs. passing.
- Gold Derby Experts vs. the Odds: Senior betting analyst Chris Raybon compares predictions by Gold Derby’s experts and editors to the odds in order to identify potential values.
- 5 More Best Bets: Senior betting analyst Collin Wilson reveals his picks for both supporting actor awards, plus Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay.
How would you rate this article?
This site contains commercial content. We may be compensated for the links provided on this page. The content on this page is for informational purposes only. Action Network makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy of the information given or the outcome of any game or event.