2018 Ryder Cup Preview: Will Dustin Johnson’s Distance Be Negated at Le Golf National?
For betting odds and analysis of all 24 golfers in the 2018 Ryder Cup field, check out this page.
Dustin Johnson’s Ryder Cup Betting Odds
- Odds to be highest-scoring golfer: +900
- Odds to be highest-scoring team member: +500
- Point total odds: 2.5 (o +100, u -130)
- Ryder Cup appearances: 3
- Ryder Cup match play history: 3-0 (100.0%)
- Ryder Cup foursome history: 1-1 (50.0%)
- Ryder Cup fourball history: 2-4 (33.3%)
>> Sign up for The Action Network’s daily newsletter to get the smartest conversation delivered into your inbox each morning.
Dustin Johnson’s Ryder Cup Outlook
Best asset: Distance and fourball play. DJ’s incredible distance off the tee is always an advantage, but it’ll be especially beneficial to the U.S. team in fourball matches (best ball). He can be uber-aggressive (if the course allows it, which is a legitimate question), particularly if he’s paired with an accurate player. If the Le Golf National setup favors ball-striking, the playing field is more leveled for the European competition.
Worst asset: Driving accuracy. Foursome matches are a little trickier for Johnson. The alternate-shot format means he’ll get to hit the tee ball for his pairing only half of the time. So if he sprays it, his partner will have to deal with a tough second shot. In foursome play, missing fairways is death, and while DJ doesn’t have many weaknesses, he’s somewhat human in that regard.
Ryder Cup Confidence Rating: 7 out of 10. While DJ enters the event as one of the top players in the game, his middling Ryder Cup record is a mild concern. He’s calm and calculating, which could work to his benefit, but we’ve seen more fiery competitors succeed in this unique format.
Expert Predictions: Over/Under 2.5 Points
Dustin Johnson’s Metrics
Here’s how Johnson ranks in the Ryder Cup field in several key metrics.
- Strokes Gained: Total: 1st in world, 1st in field
- Strokes Gained: Tee-to-Green: 1st in world, 1st in field
- Strokes Gained: Approach: 5th in world, 4th in field
- Strokes Gained: Putting: 30th in world, 5th in field
Want more Ryder Cup coverage? Check out this page for tips on the 24 golfers in the field.