Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Rickie Fowler
The Action Network spoke with several of today’s top professional golfers to find out their favorite personal golf betting stories.
- Who: Rickie Fowler
- When: Regularly
- Where: Medalist GC (Hobe Sound, Fla.)
It’s no secret that Michael Jordan likes to play golf — and maybe less of a secret that he likes to gamble. Living in South Florida, Fowler has been a frequent partner — and opponent — for the ex-basketball star, but insists that each time they play, it helps ready Fowler for PGA Tour events.
“Some of my favorite golf is getting into some of the team games and indy games with Michael Jordan back in Florida.
“Getting to play with him, see his competitive side, his competitive juices come out. See him hitting shots down the stretch, getting the ball up and down, making some putts. We’ve had some great matches and it’s good fun. Some good trash talk back and forth.
“It’s gone both ways. I’ve won, he’s won.
“One of my favorites was when we had a few team matches on the line. He stroked on 18. I drove it down there, hit a shot to 15 feet and buried the putt.
“With that putt going in or missing, the bet could’ve gone in two very different directions. There was no tying at that point.
“So that was a big situation where it was nice to step up.
“I feel like a lot of those matches, whether you’re with the boys back home playing for big money or playing with MJ and getting those juices going, those are some of the best preps for going out and being ready to play tournament golf.
“He’ll play you for whatever you want. Whatever makes you scared.
“It’s just good, fun games. [There is] some competition, so you’re not out there just hitting the ball around.”
Other golf gambling stories from the Tour
- Adam Scott’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Fred Couples, Phil Ivey and $10K
- Tony Finau’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: A $500 Hole-In-One
- Justin Thomas’ Favorite Golf Gambling Story: 36 Holes With Michael Jordan
- Paul Casey’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: A Winning Pitch vs. Lefty
- Marc Leishman’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: The International Hustle
- Zach Johnson’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: When Doubling Down Goes All Wrong
- Brendan Steele’s Favorite Golf Gambling Story: Ratted Out for Winning Too Much