MLS Odds, Picks & Prediction: New York City FC vs. New England Revolution Betting Preview (July 9)
Andrew Katsampes/ISI Photos/Getty Images. Pictured: Manager Bruce Arena of the New England Revolution.
- New York City FC welcomes New England to Yankee Stadium for Saturday's MLS showdown.
- Goals galore have been the trend of late when these clubs meet, which analyst Brett Pund thinks will happen again.
- Check out below why he has found betting value on the total ahead of this matchup.
NYCFC vs. New England Odds
|New England Odds||+350|
|Over/Under||2.5 (-175 / +120)|
|Day | Time||Saturday | 1 p.m. ET|
|How To Watch||UniMás | fuboTV|
|Odds updated as of Saturday morning via BetMGM. Get up-to-the-minute soccer odds here.|
Kicking off Saturday’s slate in Major League Soccer, New York City FC welcomes the New England Revolution to Yankee Stadium for a match between current Eastern Conference playoff teams.
The home side enters the game third in the East, sitting just three points behind the New York Red Bulls at the top of the conference.
Meanwhile, the Revolution enter the fixture on a 10-match unbeaten run, with the club’s last loss coming back on April 23 this season.
This is one of the marquee matches of the weekend, plus we usually see plenty of goals happen when two top teams meet in league action.
New York City FC
Everything was going great for the defending champion, until the club announced on June 13 that manager Ronny Deila was leaving to join Belgian side Standard Liège.
Since former assistant coach Nick Cushing took over in the interim, NYCFC has failed to pick up all three points in draws against Colorado, FC Cincinnati and Atlanta United to go with a loss to Philadelphia.
The rumors of leading scorer Valentín Castellanos possibly leaving during the current transfer window also aren’t helping, but this could be a great game at home to get back on track.
By The Numbers
- 2.03 — NYCFC has the best expected goals per 90 minutes average in MLS, according to fbref.com, which is much higher than the next closest team in the Los Angeles Galaxy (1.77) this season.
- 3.4 — At home, the Cityzens' matches have averaged this many goals per game, which is the fifth-highest number in the league.
New England Revolution
After a slow start featuring just two wins in the opening seven fixtures, New England has really started to produce consistent performances.
However, you have to wonder if this recent run of form is down to the fact the Revolution has only played four games against teams currently in playoff positions in their last 10 outings overall.
One key performer over this stretch has been striker Gustavo Bou, who has found the back of the net in four of his last six MLS contests.
By The Numbers
- 3.75 — Away from home, New England’s games have averaged this number of goals per match, which is the highest in the league.
- 75 — To add to the high-scoring affairs away from Gillette Stadium, this percentage of the Revolution’s eight matches outside the area have finished with more than 3.5 goals.
BJ Cunningham's MLS Model Projections
Betting Analysis & Picks
These high-powered attacks are going to put on a show. That said, my best bet is to back the total to clear 3.5 goals at +150 odds offered at PointsBet as my top selection.
We touched on New England’s numbers on the road, but NYCFC tends to have high goal numbers at Yankee Stadium as well. The combined xG average in New York home games this season is 3.56 per 90 minutes.
If you are looking for a parlay piece, I think the "Yes" on Both Teams to Score at -170 odds is a great addition as it should be a struggle for the defenses to hold up against the opposing attackers.
The Pick: Total Over 3.5 Goals (+150)