Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Zack Greinke.
- The MLB trade deadline was highlighted by Houston's acquisition of Zack Greinke, which was announced shortly after the 4 p.m. ET deadline.
- As a result, the Astros moved to +200 to win the 2019 World Series, making them the lone favorites atop the list.
Though the MLB trade deadline looked rather dull when the clock struck 4 p.m. ET, a couple of major moves came through at the buzzer. Zack Greinke, who pitched for the Diamondbacks today, has been dealt to the Astros, while the Cubs have landed Nicholas Castellanos.
Greinke was the finale of a big day for Houston, which also landed Martin Maldonado (again), Aaron Sanchez and Joe Biagini. As a result, the Astros are now the lone World Series favorites at +200 at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.
Here’s a look at updated World Series odds:
2019 World Series Odds
The move from +275 to +200 represents a +6.6% swing in implied odds — the largest improvement of the day. Before Houston made the deal, Atlanta had been the “winner” of the day, moving from +900 to +800 thanks to the addition of Shane Greene and Mark Melancon. Their odds have since, however, fallen back to +900.
The Cubs’ addition of Castellanos helped them move from +1800 to +1400 — giving them the edge over NL Central rival St. Louis. His offensive numbers are down from last year, but Castellanos gives the Cubs another reliable, versatile bat.
Some clear deadline losers in the eyes of Vegas are the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Nationals, who have all seen their odds fall since this morning.
Most of the other moves did not directly result in odds movement. Below is a list of the bigger names who moved over the past 24 hours.
Major Tuesday & Wednesday Deals
- Astros: Acquire Zack Greinke Martin Maldonado, Joe Biagini, Aaron Sanchez; lose Tony Kemp, Corbin Martin, J.B. Bukauskas, Seth Beer
- Dodgers: Acquire Jedd Gyorko, Adam Kolarek; lose Tony Cingrani
- Braves: Acquire Shane Greene, Mark Melancon, John Ryan Murphy
- Indians: Acquire Franmil Reyes, Yasiel Puig, Logan Allen; lose Trevor Bauer
- Cubs: Acquire Nicholas Castellanos, Tony Kemp, Brad Wieck; lose Maldonado, Carl Edwards Jr.
- Twins: Acquire Sam Dyson
- Nationals: Acquire Daniel Hudson, Roenis Elias, Hunter Strickland
- Rays: Acquire Jesus Aguilar, Nick Anderson, Trevor Richards; lose Ryne Stanek, Jacob Faria
- Brewers: Acquire Faria for Aquilar, Acquire Drew Pomeranz and Ray Black for Mauricio Dubon
- Phillies: Acquire Corey Dickerson, Dan Straily
- Athletics: Acquire Tanner Roark
- Giants: Acquire Dubon, Scooter Gennett; lose Pomeranz, Black, Dyson
- Angels: Acquire Max Stassi
- Reds: Acquire Bauer, Cingrani; lose Puig, Taylor Trammell, Gennett
- Padres: Acquire Trammell, Edwards Jr.; lose Reyes, Allen, Wieck
- Diamondbacks: Acquire Zac Gallen, Mike Leake, Martin, Bukauskas, Beer; lose Greinke