Updated Broncos vs. Jets Odds: What Number To Bet This Thursday Night Football Spread At
Getty Images. Pictured: Bradley Chubb, Sam Darnold
- Week 4 opens with a Thursday Night Football matchup of two 0-3 teams as the Broncos travel to take on the Jets.
- After opening as a 2.5-point favorite, Denver is now a 1.5-point underdog against Sam Darnold and New York.
- Sean Koerner, our Director of Predictive Analytics, breaks down how he's looking to bet this spread.
Updated Broncos vs. Jets Odds
The 0-3 Broncos take on the 0-3 Jets in a Thursday Night Football matchup between the two worst teams in my current power ratings.
I could make a joke about how terrible this matchup is, but now that the we’re dealing with the NFL’s first COVID-19 outbreak — there have been 11 positive tests reported within the Titans organization — it’s a reminder of how fortunate we’ve been to see three weeks of uninterrupted action so far. Therefore, I will love watching every minute of this horrendous matchup.
This spread opened at Broncos -2.5 and was quickly bet up to -3, but sharp action has since moved the line 4-4.5 points to make the Jets 1- to 1.5-point favorites, depending on the sportsbook (shop for the best line here).
I’m having a hard time figuring out what caused the significant line move, but my best guess is that it’s the uncertainty of Denver’s quarterback situation.
Brett Rypien will start the game, but we could see either Jeff Driskel or Blake Bortles replace Rypien if he struggles. I watched Rypien’s nine pass attempts from Week 3 a couple of times now. It was nothing special, but the Broncos had him operate in a very quick-hitting, conservative pass attack. That’s a game plan that could work in a matchup against the Jets.
Broncos vs. Jets Picks
There’s a chance that if the Jets lose tonight, it could be Adam Gase’s last game as their head coach. And I’m not sure we can say the players will be giving their max effort to prevent that from happening.
I have the Broncos projected as 1.5-point favorites and will back them once any of the following occurs:
- The line moves to Broncos +3;
- Or if Jets left tackle Mekhi Becton (questionable) is ultimately ruled out and the Broncos are +1.5 or better;
- Or if Jets wide receiver Jamison Crowder (questionable) is ruled out and the Broncos are +2 or better.