$210K on Chiefs, $116K on 49ers: The Biggest Super Bowl Futures Bets on the Line in Miami
David Eulitt/Getty Images. Pictured: Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan
Sportsbooks generally make money on their futures book, seeing how there’s only winner standing at the end of each sports season. And that will again be the case with the Super Bowl 54 market with the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs facing off on Sunday, Feb. 2.
Oddsmakers avoided the potential disaster of the Packers winning it all after Green Bay was eliminated in the NFC title game. According to a source, a Packers Super Bowl title would’ve cost one of the biggest sportsbooks in America $1.5 million — and that doesn’t include any of the wagers from Vegas.
While books are in good shape overall when you factor in their pending 49ers and Chiefs liabilities with the losing bets they’ve already collected, there are still quite a few big futures bets in play for San Fran and K.C. backers.
We’ll detail some of the biggest payouts for each team below.
Kansas City Chiefs
The Chiefs, who lost in last year’s AFC title game, entered the season as one of the favorites to win it all, and they never really wavered from that.
The one opportunity bettors got to nab K.C. at a number north of 10-1 came during Patrick Mahomes’ two-game absence due to a knee injury. That’s when the SuperBook took a $15,000 bet on the Chiefs at 14-1 odds. It’s the book’s largest Super Book ticket that’s still alive.
- $15,000 to win $210,000: Chiefs at 14-1 in Las Vegas
- $8,000 to win $112,000: Chiefs at 14-1 at Sahara in Las Vegas
- $12,000 to win $78,000: Chiefs +650 at Monmouth Park in New Jersey
- $40,000 to win $56,000: Chiefs +140 at Boomtown in Nevada
San Francisco 49ers
The 49ers were as high as 50-1 to win the Super Bowl at the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook. Westgate took 41 bets on the Niners at that number. The biggest wager was for $1,000 and would profit $50,000 if San Fran wins in Miami.
The 49ers’ preseason odds would make them the most unlikely Super Bowl champion since the 2001-02 Patriots.
- $10,600 to win $116,600 on 49ers 11-1 in New Jersey
- $20,000 to win $34,000 on 49ers +170 in New Jersey
- $8,000 to win $25,600 on 49ers +320 in Pennsylvania
- $3,000 to win $90,000 on 49ers 30-1 at Grand Sierra Resort in Nevada
- $1,000 to win $50,000: 49ers 50-1 in Las Vegas
- $1,000 to win $40,000: 49ers 40-1 in Las Vegas