Credit: Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Gleyber Torres, Cameron Maybin
- Here's a rundown of all 30 MLB teams and where they finished in relation to their preseason win totals.
The MLB regular season has come to an end and now we are on to the playoffs!
Let’s recap how each team did in relation to their Vegas win total this season.
The New York Yankees entered the regular season with the highest win total at Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook with a projected 97 wins, followed by the Houston Astros close behind at 96.5 wins. Both teams went over their win total.
All 13 teams that finished with 85 wins or more eclipsed their preseason win total. The two teams that won fewer than 85 games and went over their win total? The Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants.
In total, 15 MLB teams went over their win total and 15 teams went under their win total.
Here are all 30 MLB teams and how they performed in 2019…
2019 MLB Win Total Tracker
2019 MLB Opening Win Totals
- New York Yankees: 97
- Houston Astros: 96.5
- Boston Red Sox: 93.5
- Los Angeles Dodgers: 92.5
- Cleveland Indians: 91
- Philadelphia Phillies: 89
- Washington Nationals: 89
- St. Louis Cardinals: 88.5
- Chicago Cubs: 87.5
- Milwaukee Brewers: 86.5
- Atlanta Braves: 86
- Colorado Rockies: 85.5
- New York Mets: 85.5
- Tampa Bay Rays: 84.5
- Minnesota Twins: 84
- Los Angeles Angels: 82
- Oakland Athletics: 81.5
- Cincinnati Reds: 79
- Pittsburgh Pirates: 78.5
- San Diego Padres: 78.5
- Arizona Diamondbacks: 75.5
- Toronto Blue Jays: 74
- Chicago White Sox: 73.5
- San Francisco Giants: 73.5
- Seattle Mariners: 73.5
- Texas Rangers: 71
- Kansas City Royals: 69
- Detroit Tigers: 68
- Miami Marlins: 63.5
- Baltimore Orioles: 59
Odds and Ends
The 2010 San Diego Padres eclipsed their preseason win total of 71.5 in the 119th game of the year, making them the quickest team to cash in the past decade. They won 90 games that season for the first time since 1998, but failed to make the playoffs.
Over the past decade, eight different teams in different seasons have had their preseason win total decided on the final day of the regular season, the most recent cases being the Los Angeles Angels and St. Louis Cardinals in 2017 and the New York Mets yesterday:
The Colorado Rockies, Boston Red Sox and Milwaukee Brewers entered the 2019 season eclipsing their preseason win total in three consecutive seasons, the highest marks in baseball. Milwaukee now has the longest active streak after going over their win total in 2019.
On the contrary, the Chicago White Sox and Cincinnati Reds entered 2019 with the longest streak of consecutive years finishing below their preseason win total — a total of six seasons, since 2013. They both went under their win total again in 2019 — going under now in seven straight seasons.
If you’re going to win it all, you’d better go over your preseason win total. Since 2004, only three of the 30 eventual World Series participants went under their preseason win total entering 2019:
- Last year, the Dodgers won 92 games, falling 3.5 games short of their preseason win total (95.5). They made it all the way to the World Series before losing in five games to the Red Sox.
- The Tigers got swept by San Francisco in the 2012 World Series after winning 88 games — 4.5 games below their preseason win total (92.5).
- The 2006 Cardinals were the first, defeating the Tigers in five games after winning only 83 games in a weak NL Central — 11 games below their preseason win total (94).
(All win total data via Sports Odds History)