European Soccer Forecast: Odds, Totals for Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A & Ligue 1 (Jan. 15-18)
Hannah McKay/Pool/AFP via Getty Images. Pictured: Liverpool stars Xherdan Shaqiri, left, and Sadio Mané.
- European soccer action continues this weekend, with the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, and Ligue 1 all being featured.
- BJ Cunningham provides his projected odds and totals for every match below.
La Liga — Spanish soccer’s top flight — is off this weekend, but the rest of the major European leagues have a full slate of matches on deck. Here is a snapshot of what we saw the last time each of these leagues was in action:
- Manchester United earned a 1-0 win at Burnley, which moved it to the top of the Premier League table.
- Manchester City defeated visiting Brighton 1-0, to push it into the top four for the first time this season.
- Tottenham Hotspur was held to a 1-1 draw at home against relegation-zone side Fulham, keeping it outside the top four.
- Borussia Mönchengladbach erased a two-goal deficit in its 3-2 win over Bayern Munich. It was Bayern Munich’s first Bundesliga loss since September.
- Borussia Dortmund captured a 3-1 victory over host RB Leipzig, moving it into fourth place in the German top flight.
- American teenager Matthew Hoppe notched a hat trick for Schalke, delivering the clubs its first win of the season.
- Roma and Inter Milan ended in a 2-2 stalemate, which wound up pushing AC Milan’s lead to three points in the Italian biggest league.
- Lyon was held to a 2-2 draw at Rennes, while host Paris Saint-Germain cruised to a 3-0 triumph over Brest. Those results cut Lyon’s lead down to one point in Ligue 1 play.
Many teams have already been in action this week for league matches and domestic cup competitions, so managers might be rotating their squads to rest some players. Therefore, it might be a good idea to wait to place a wager until starting lineups come out prior to kickoff.
You can use these projections to identify early betting value on the opening lines, plus follow me in The Action Network App to see any bets I make throughout the week.
Premier League Notes
- Liverpool vs. Manchester United: England’s top teams square off, with first place on the line. Liverpool’s unbeaten league run at Anfield sits at a crazy 67 consecutive matches. In fact, the last time the Reds lost at home was April of 2017. Manchester United has been the best team away from home this season, going 7-1-0 with a plus-11 goal differential.
- Aston Villa vs. Everton has been postponed due to a COVID outbreak at Aston Villa.
Premier League Injury News
- Arsenal: Gabriel (CB) is questionable to play against Newcastle.
- Brighton: Danny Welback (ST), Adam Lallana (CAM), and Tariq Lamptey (RB) are all doubtful to play against Leeds.
- Chelsea: N’Golo Kante (CM) is out against Fulham.
- Crystal Palace: Jeffrey Schlupp (LM) and Mamadou Sahko (CB) are out against Manchester City.
- Fulham: Ruben Loftus-Cheek (CM). Mario Lemina (CM), and Tom Cairney (CAM) are out against Chelsea. Aleksander Mitrovic (ST) is questionable.
- Liverpool: Diogo Jota (CF), Virgil Van Dijk (CB), Naby Keita (CM), Joe Gomez (CB), and Joel Matip (CB) are out against Manchester United.
- Manchester City: Aymeric Laporte (CB) is questionable to play against Crystal Palace. Sergio Augero (ST) and Nathan Ake (CB) are out.
- Manchester United: Victor Lindelof (CB), Anthony Martial (ST), and Nemanja Matic (CM) are all questionable to play against Liverpool.
- Newcastle: Jonjo Shelvey (CM) and Jamaal Lascelles (CB) are questionable to face Arsenal. Allen Saint-Maximin (ST) is doubtful.
- Sheffield United: Oliver McBurnie (ST), Sander Berge (CM) and Jack O’Connell (CB) are out against Spurs.
- Southampton: Danny Ings (ST), Jannik Vestergaard (CB) and Nathan Redmond (LM) are out against Leicester.
- Spurs: Giovani Lo Celso (CM) is out against Sheffield United.
- West Brom: Conor Townsend (LB) is out against Wolves.
- Wolves: Daniel Pondence (ST,)Raul Jimenez (ST), Willy Boly (CB), and Adama Traore (RW) are out against West Brom.
- Union Berlin vs. Leverkusen: The Bundesliga’s surprise team of the season looks to move into the top four Friday when it takes on Bayer Leverkusen. Union Berlin has yet to lose versus the top half of the table, plus it’s unbeaten in its last seven home matches. Leverkusen has been on fire on the road, winning five of its last six matches away from home.
- Wolfsburg vs. RB Leipzig: Wolfsburg is unbeaten at home this season, currently on a five-game winning streak at the Volkswagen Arena. In contrast, RB Leipzig has struggled against the top seven teams and winless in four matches.
Bundesliga Injury News
- Augsburg: Raphael Framberger (RB) is questionable to face Werder Bremen.
- Bayern Munich: Serge Gnabry (RM) is questionable to play against Freiburg.
- Bayer Leverkusen: Charles Aranguiz (CM) and Sven Bender (CB) are out against Union Berlin.
- Borussia Dortmund: Jude Bellingham (CM) and Thorgan Hazard (CAM) are questionable to play against RB Leipzig. Axel Witsel (CM) is out.
- Borussia Monchengladbach: Marcus Thuram (ST) and Breel Embolo (ST) is out against Vfb Stuttgart. Alessane Plea (ST) and Valentino Lazaro (RM) are questionable.
- Freiburg: Lucas Holer (CM) and Jonathan Schmid (RM) are out against Koln.
- Hertha Berlin: Marvin Plattenhardt (LB), Matteus Cuhna (CAM), Dedryck Boyata (CB) are out against Koln.
- Hoffenheim: Christoph Baumgartner (CM), Kevin Akpoguma (CB) and Sebastian Rudy (CM) are out against Arminia Bielefeld. Florian Grillitsch (CAM) and Ryan Sessegnon (LB) is questionable.
- Koln: Sebastian Andersson (ST) and Florian Kainz (RM) are questionable to play against Hertha Berlin.
- Mainz: Robin Zentner (GK) is out against Frankfurt.
- RB Leipzig: Christopher Nkunku (CAM), Marcel Sabitzer (CM), and Kevin Kampl (CM) are out against Wolfsburg.
- Schalke: Alessandro Schopf (RM), Omar Mascarell (CDM), Nassim Boujellab (CM), and Salif Sane (CB) are out against Frankfurt. Rabbi Matondo (RW) is questionable.
- Werder Bremen: Ludwig Augustinsson (LB) and Christian Gross (CB) are out against Augsburg
- Wolfsburg: Maximilian Arnold (CAM) is out against RB Leipzig.
Serie A Notes
- Lazio vs. Roma: The 175th iteration of the Derby della Capitale takes place Friday when Lazio battles Roma. Lazio has struggled this season and finds itself near the middle of the table. However, the club only has one loss in its last six matches, so things are looking up for Biancocelesti. Roma is having a good season, sitting in third after winning five of its last seven matches. It also have the best expected goal differential in Italy at +20.80.
- Inter vs. Juventus: Derby d’Italia takes place in Milan on Sunday, as second-place Inter Milan hosts fourth-place Juventus. Inter has stumbled in its last two matches, but has won five consecutive matches at the San Siro. Juventus is starting to return to its top form, winning six of its last eight tilts. Juventus is unbeaten in its last seven matches against Inter in Serie A.
Serie A Injury News
- AC Milan: Alexis Saelemaekers (RM) and Rafael Leao (ST) are out against Cagliari. Ante Rebic (LM) and Ismael Bennacer (CM) are questionable.
- Bologna: Lukasz Skorupski (GK) is questionable to play against Verona. Lorenzo De Silvestri (RB) is out.
- Cagliari: Marko Rog (RB) and Nahitan Nandez (RM) are out against AC Milan.
- Crotone: Arkadiusz Reca (LM) and Salvatore Molina (RM) are out against Benevento. Luca Cigarini (CM) and Luca Marrone (CB) are questionable.
- Fiorentina: Borja Valero (CM) is questionable to play against Napoli. Franck Ribery (LW) and German Pezzella (CB) are out.
- Genoa: Goran Pandev (ST) is questionable to face Atalanta. Cristian Zapata (CB) is out.
- Juventus: Juan Cuadrado (RB), Alex Sandro (LB), Weston McKennie (CM), and Matthijs de Ligt (CB) are all questionable to face Inter. Federico Chiesa (LM) and Paulo Dybala (CF) are out.
- Lazio: Joaquin Correa (ST) and Mohamed Fares (LM) are questionable to face Roma. Thomas Strakosha (GK) is out.
- Napoli: Victor Osimhen (ST) and Konstantinos Manoles (CB) are questionable to face Fiorentina. Giovanni Di Lorenzo (RB) is out.
- Parma: Riccardo Gagliolo (LB), Hernani (CM), and Simone Iacoponi (CB) are out against Sassuolo. Vincent Laurini (RB) is questionable.
- Roma: Pedro (RW) and Antonio Mirante (GK) are questionable to face Lazio.
- Sampdoria: Jakob Jantko (LM) is out against Udinese. Manuel Gabbiadini (CAM) is questionable.
- Sassuolo: Pedro Obiang (CM) and Domenico Berardi (RW) are out against Parma.
- Spezia: Matteo Ricci (CM) is questionable to face Torino.
- Torino: Tomas Rincon (CM) is out against Spezia.
- Udinese: Stefano Okaka (ST) is questionable to play against Sampdoria. Ignacio Pussetto is out.
Ligue 1 Injury News
- Angers: Rachid Alioui (CM) and Sofiane Boufal (LM) are out against PSG.
- Bordeaux: Mehdi Zerkane (RM) and Hatem Ben Arfa (CAM) is out against Nice.
- Lens: Facundo Medina (CB) is questionable to play against Nantes.
- Lille: Zeki Celik (RB) is questionable to play against Reims.
- Lorient: Armand Lauriente (RW) and Houboulang Mendes (RB) are out against Dijon. Thomas Monconduit (CDM), Paul Nardi (GK), Vincent Le Goff (LB), Julien Laporte (CB), and Pierre-Yves Hamel (ST) are questionable.
- Lyon: Bruno Guimaraes (CDM) is questionable to play against Metz.
- Marseille: Jordan Amavi (LB) is questionable to play against Nimes.
- Metz: Farid Boulaya (RW), Opa Nguette (LW), and Mattieu Udol (LB) are questionable to play against Lyon.
- Monaco: Cesc Fabregas (CM) is questionable to play against Montpellier.
- Nantes: Moses Simon (LM) is questionable to face Lens.
- Nice: Pierre Lees-Melou (CM) is questionable to play against Bordeaux. Morgan Schneiderlin (CM) is out.
- Nimes: Loick Landre (CB) is questionable to face Marseille.
- Rennes: Faitout Maouassa (LB), Damien Da Silva (CB), and Daniele Rugani (CB) are questionable to face Brest.
- Saint Etienne: Timothee Kolodziejczask (CB) and Yvan Neyou Noupa (CM) are questionable to face Strasbourg.
- Strasbourg: Mohamed Simakan (CB) is out against Saint Etienne Bingourou Kamara (GK) is questionable.