District of Columbia Sports Betting
Washington, D.C. Sports Betting Updates 2023
Updated March 3, 2023
Although the Washington, D.C. is not a state, it has the ability to host sportsbooks within district lines. D.C. online sports betting has been live since May 2020. District residents are able to place their bets on exclusive sportsbooks GambetDC and Grand Central DC.
Please note that BetMGM and Caesars bets can only be placed in and two miles around the following locations:
- Nationals Park
- Capital One Arena
Additionally, D.C. residents can play Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) via PrizePicks. Users pick over/under totals of players from their favorite teams like the Washington Nationals or Washington Wizards.
New users can use Action's exclusive PrizePicks promo code, which offers up to a $100 deposit match!
D.C.'s Sports Betting Overview, Timeline and Background
What can I bet on in D.C.?
Now that mobile sportsbook apps are online, you have the option to wager on a range of bet types and sports leagues.
Legal Bet Types — Sports fans can bet a full range of bet types, including:
- Point Spreads. Spread betting is a bet on the final score and the margin of victory in a game.
- Moneylines. Moneyline betting is when you pick the outright winner of a game or event, either one team or another.
- First Half & Second Half. Halves let a bettor treat the first half and the second half as separate matches.
- Totals aka "Over/Unders." A total, also known as an over/under, is a bet on the number of points both teams will combine to score in a game.
- Futures. Future bets are a bet on an event that will be decided in the future (e.g., end-of-season results and awards).
- Player Props. A "prop" bet, short for a proposition, is a wager that is not directly tied to the final score or outcome. These can get creative.
Available Sports — You can take advantage of the different bet types to wager on these sports legally:
- Football: NFL & CFL
- Basketball: NBA, WNBA, European/international basketball leagues
- Baseball: MLB
- Hockey: NHL, international hockey leagues
- Soccer: MLS, English Premier League, UEFA Champions League
- College sports: NCAA football and basketball (except for local D.C. teams and games within district lines)
- Golf: PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, PGA Tour Champions, PGA European Tour
- Auto Racing: IndyCar, NASCAR, Formula One
Additional market choices like boxing, tennis, rugby and more will also be offered at D.C.'s sportsbooks.
What can't I bet on in D.C.?
Many local sports fans may ask: "Can I place wagers on college games involving D.C. teams like the Georgetown Hoyas, George Washington Colonials, and American Eagles?" Unfortunately, the answer is no, collegiate betting in The District has special restrictions. Here is what is not allowed.
There is no wagering on in-state college teams ❌
What does this mean? You cannot bet on D.C. collegiate teams like the Georgetown Hoyas or the American Eagles. This applies to any district collegiate team, whether they're playing in the state or not. However, you can bet on college teams outside of the state.
No wagering on in-state collegiate events ❌
If there's a collegiate sporting event hosted in the District of Columbia, district residents can't legally bet on it, whether or not the teams are local. This means several bowl games, a host of neutral-site college basketball games, the Big East Tournament, Atlantic 10 Tournament, and some March Madness games over the next five years will be off-limits.
District of Columbia Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
- Grand Central DC Sportsbook launches at its restaurant and bar location located in D.C.'s Adams Morgan neighborhood. The book is only available on site and is powered by Toronto-based iGaming platform Elys Game Technology.
- Caesars launches inside the Capital One Arena on Aug. 2. District residents are able to place their wagers inside and within a two-mile radius of the arena.
- BetMGM launches inside Nationals Park. Wagers are only allowed to be placed inside and within a two-mile radius of the park.
- Online sports betting launches in Washington D.C. GambetDC is the first district-exclusive sportsbook to launch.
District of Columbia Sports Betting Tips
Sports Betting for Beginners
Sports Betting Glossary
The sports betting lexicon is vast and sometimes confusing, especially to new bettors. Check out our sports betting glossary to get up to speed with every term you might need to know before placing your bets on the Washington Capitals or Wizards.
Sports Betting Mistakes to Avoid
Betting on your favorite teams like the Washington Wizards might seem like a smart play, but you need to be responsible if you're going to participate in the sports betting world.
Here are the top mistakes to avoid.
MGM National Harbor
Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland
Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
Hollywood Casino Perryville
Harrington Raceway & Casino