Texas Tech 2018 Betting Preview: A Big 12 Dark Horse Thanks To … Defense?
Adam Hagy-USA TODAY Sports. Pictured: Colt Garrett
Texas Tech 2018 Betting Odds
- To win the National Title: +200000
- To win the Big 12: +4000
- To reach Big 12 title game: +1250
- Win Total: 6 (over -135, under +105)
Always shop for the best line.
Texas Tech 2018 Schedule, Betting Odds
The Action Network Projected Wins: 5.5
Bet To Watch
Texas Tech over 6 wins (-135)
Everything is lining up for Kliff Kingsbury to have his biggest season in Lubbock yet. Take a look at this “blind” resume — it will make you want to bet over on the win total and get some futures action down:
- Defense moved from 125th to 88th in S&P+ rankings, and ranks second in the country in returning production for 2018.
- An all-Big 12 kicker returns from injury, an area that cost the team wins against Kansas State and West Virginia last season.
- The offense consistently ranks high in efficiency and explosiveness, but must replace almost every skill position and the quarterback. In contrast, all five offensive linemen return, a unit that played 11 of 12 games together in 2017.
>> Follow Collin Wilson in The Action Network App to get free alerts on all his college football bets during the season.
Once you realize it’s Texas Tech, and that Kingsbury is on the hottest of seats, it takes off some of the shine. Texas Tech is well-aware that the defense will be the moneymaker in a conference full of offense.
Get ready. #ThingsHaveChanged
— Texas Tech Football (@TexasTechFB) July 15, 2018
Texas Tech will be a 6-point favorite or more in three home games (Lamar, Houston and Kansas). This leaves about seven games all lined within a touchdown. The Red Raiders play four true road games, with the only tricky schedule spot a trip to Iowa State with the Cyclones coming off a bye. With a rapidly improving defense, stellar offensive line and favorable schedule for Texas Tech, we’ll take the Over 6 (-135). The offense always figures itself out in Lubbock.
What else you need to know about Texas Tech
The Big 12 runs a round-robin schedule with the top two teams going to the title game. While we expect Oklahoma to always be in this championship, the race for second is wide open.
If there is a tiebreaker in play, it may be an advantage that Texas Tech has Oklahoma, West Virginia and Texas on its home slate, since those teams will be vying for that spot and the Red Raiders could have wins over them.
It’s a little degenerate, but this is also Big 12 betting, where anything can happen. Throw some couch change on Texas Tech +1250 to reach the Big 12 championship game. I did.